Montpelier Conservation Group
Bean Feast Trivia Quiz 2017
Test your Montpelier knowledge - and find the answers!
1. When did the Montpelier Health Centre open?
2. Which famous actor was asked to leave Fairfield School?
- Dame Edith Evans
- Errol Flynn
- Archie Leach, aka Cary Grant
- Nell Gwynne
3. How did John Wanklyn, the first owner of Montpelier House, make his money?
- He was a stagecoach proprietor
- He was a threadmaker
- He was a vinegar merchant
- He was a portrait painter
4. Which famous actor is commemorated by a plaque on number 9 Ashley Road?
- Sir Laurence Olivier
- Sir John Gielgud
- David Garrick
- Sir Henry Irving
5. How much was a swim at 'The Ladies Private Bath' at Rennison's Pleasure Baths behind the Old England in 1764?
- One old penny (worth about 35p today)
- Two old pence (about 70p)
- One shilling (about £4.20)
- Half a sovereign (about £42)
6. Where did General Thomas Picton die?
- At home in bed
- At Waterloo
- In Picton Street
- At the opening of the Stockton to Darlington railway
7. Which famous cricketer practised in the nets at the Old England?
- Rachel Heyhoe-Flint
- Gary Sobers
- Len Hutton
8. How is Montpelier thought to have got its name?
9. What is the speed limit in Montpelier?
10. How many schools are there in Montpelier, and what are their names?
11. Solve the following Montpelier-related anagrams:
- tinpot secret
- golden land
- politer men